Kailen: Mom, I want you to take the training wheels off my bike.
Mom: Honey, I don't know if you are ready. I don't want you to fall and get hurt.
Kailen: I can really do it, Mom. I know I can.
Mom: It is really hard and the gravel can really hurt you if you fall.
Kailen: I will be o.k.
Mom: O.k.--but you can't cry if you fall off!
So, I proceed to take off the training wheels, reluctantly. As you can see, I wasn't so worried about her that I made her put on tennis shoes and a helmet--what was I thinking. I grabbed the camera--just in case this is the moment when my first born makes the milestone of riding her bike all on her own. Here is Kailen in her maiden voyage without the training wheels:
So, as you can see, she was telling me what I needed to hear, but wasn't ready to hear it. My baby is growing up and I need to realize it. The funny thing is, she had absolutely no problems without training wheels--she didn't get hurt, she didn't fall, and she spent the summer riding her bike and being proud of herself. She wasn't worried about getting hurt at all--she was just ready to move on to the next step. So, when Kailen tells me she is ready to do something and I am not ready for her to do it, I need to come back to read this blog and remember that children need to spread their wings in order to take off!
Graduating kindergarten and learning to ride her bike in one day is a bit much for me! I hope it is not a sign of things to come this summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment